Friday, January 29, 2010

Il pleut sur la ville...




Grey, cold, rainy day.

That large courtyard, and all those similar concrete buildings? Well, last night when I went out, I couldn't find my way out of the "complex" at first. I did find an iron fence along a street, but didn't see how to get in or out there (I should revisit that in the daylight).

The high speed train exhibit was interesting--lots of history--but not quite as impressive as I had hoped. They had several videos at it, all of which are viewable on the web site for the exhibit, with speed trials from the 1950s, 1980s, and 2007. (After following the link above, click to enter the site, then under "EXPOSITION" click "LE TRAIN EN IMAGES" and click on one of the little video images to see that video.

The "Ed" supermarket just outside the front gate is larger on the inside than it looks--it goes way back. Some management types (suits, not wearing the green housecoat/uniforms the employees wear) were fussing about the amount of space dedicated to fruits vs. vegetables, and had clipboards and surely some sort of management theories to implement. It's good to see people working. I
attempted a joke with the cashier (after they were gone) about the "census of the vegetables" (On fait la recensée des légumes aujourd'hui?). The prices there were much lower than the Monoprix way down the street, but many brands were their store brand, "Dia" (not sure if that's supposed to be "Ed" in verlan (syllable-reverse slang) or what). As is often the case, to buy fruits and vegetables, you weigh them on an electronic scale in the produce area, choose the item via name and picture, and a label with bar code prints out. There is no scale at the cashier!



Did you know that Président butter is part of a nutritious breakfast?
I did not, but the package informed me of that, and so I partook. Among its benefits outed are that it it is rich in...flavors. I will have to pick some up at Trader Joe's if they still have it upon my return. (Any other sources known in Madison?)



My breakfast features: fromage blanc with sugar; hot tea with milk and sugar; a ficelle (very thin baguette--as capellini is to spaghetti--but very crisp and delicious) with butter and red currant (groseille) jelly; and orange juice mixed with mineral water. I seem to have forgotten or misplaced my Prilosec, but amazingly, both my heartburn and my ear pains have ceased. Ah, the healing powers of Président butter!



Did you know that pigeons in Paris sleep in trees? Well, they do if
the trees are in a quiet courtyard.

My breakfast reverie, during which I read part of "Markets of Paris" helpfully provided in the apartment, was interrupted only by a car beeping for 5 minutes on some adjacent street (must have been a BIG emergency--or probably a street completely blocked by a delivery) and then by banging sounds from one of the now-open light wells of an adjacent, much older building, that would have previously only had a tiny cement courtyard (like most hotels).



I got up to see what it was--and an older woman was tossing pieces of bread onto the roof below. She had a good arm, or the pain was exceptionellement perdu. Now we know why the pigeons were so plump.

Today, with the rain, is a good day to do museums. I'm thinking the
Cluny and the Cinematheque exhibit on Magic Lanterns (laterna magica),
or perhaps the Orsay and the Orangerie.

No comments: